donderdag 29 maart 2012

Gluing it back together

With all bugs removed, it was time to glue the zither back together. The original glue was probably hide glue, which I do not have. I decided to look for a modern alternative.

An obvious choice would have been common white wood glue ("houtlijm"), but I found out that this is based on polyvinyl acetate (PVA), which tends to creep when under constant load. And 41 strings will put a lot of constant force on the wood! So I decided to use a polyurethane glue, which is very strong and does not creap, as long as you clamp it properly for at least 4 hours.
This website has some good information about using glues for musical instruments:
http://www.apsimplepsaltery.com/glues.htm

First I glued the side of the frame:

And next the braces:

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten